I thought that Windows users could use an up-to-date howto on getting Darcs up and running. First I will show what needs to be downloaded. Then I will describe the configuration tweaks that need to be performed.
- PuTTY, Plink, PSCP, PSFTP, Pageant, and PuTTYgen executables
- Darcs 2.2.1
(see Darcs Binaries for more info)
Required Configuration Tweaks
- Create a new folder c:\bin
- Copy all the downloaded exe and dll files into c:\bin
- Rename plink.exe to ssh.exe.
- Rename psftp.exe to sftp.exe
- Rename pscp.exe to scp.exe
- Prepend ‘C:\bin;’ to your PATH environment variable. See my previous post on how to do this.
- Use PuTTYgen to generate and store your key. I recommend leaving the password blank for your key, otherwise you have to enter it every time.
- Copy your public ssh key (from PuTTYgen) and add it to ‘my ssh keys’ on Patch-Tag.
- Run Pageant and add your previously generated key (the previous link describes this as well).
- Voila! You are now setup to push and pull repositories with Darcs and Patch-Tag!
How hard is this for most of you Darcs Windows users out there? Would you be interested in an installer which sets this all up for you?